03 June 2016
New shipwreck outside Crete. Possibly 700 on boat, more than 300 feared dead. Crete is opening as a new destination according to IOM
23 May 2016
Gradual evacuation of makeshift camp in Eidomeni. On 27 May UNHCR expresses concern over conditions in new refugee sites
12 May 2016
16 April 2016
Pope Francis visits Lesvos symbolically relocating refugees to Vatican.
Read the joint declaration of the Ecumenical Patriarch, Archbishop and Athens and Pope Frances here
04 April 2016
18 March 2016
“As of 20 March all new irregular migrants(sic) crossing from Turkey to Greek islands will be returned to Turkey”
15 March 2016
EU Council sets up emergency support
14 March 2016
Refugees attempt to cross the closed border to FYROM via river
7 March 2016
NATO ships patrol the Aegean between Greece and Turkey
29 February 2016
Macedonian officers fire tear gas at migrants
18/18 February 2016
- Implementation of EU action plan
- Focus on humanitarian assistance
- Operationality of hot-spots
- Border intensification
12 February 2016
Schengen evaluation of Greece finds shortcomings in border procedures
04 February 2016
Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia fences off large sections of its border
28 January 2016
Since 15 January more than 80 people died in different shipwrecks in the Aegean
By the end of 2015 1.00000 refugees have reached Europe. The population of Europe is 738.442.000. The refugees represent the 0,1% of the total European population. The total number of people killed in Syria represents the 11.5% of the country’s population.
17 – 18 December 2015
- Border instensification
- Cooperation with countries of origin
- Relocations and returns
15 December 2015
08 December 2015
Austria begins constructing fence on its border with Slovenia
- Political and financial engagement between EU and Turkey
- EU commits to 3 bn
- EU Readmission agreement is planned for June 2016.
28 November 2015
Macedonia begins erecting fence in its border with Greece
13 November 2015
12 November 2015
- Root-Causes of irregular migration
- Co-operation on legal migration and mobility
- Protection of migrants and asylum-seekers
- Address smuggling and trafficking
- Re-admission and reintegration
09 November 2015
- Intensification of hot-spots
- Speeding up relocation process
- Asylum procedures at border or transit zones
- Controls for entry and exit
- Establishment by Europol of European Migrant Smuggling Centre (EMSC)
30 October 2015
100 Children lost their lives since 2 September.
28 October 2015
43 refugees (17 men, 6 women, 19 children and an infant die in shipwreck in Lesvos.
Greek coastal guard manages to save 274.
25 October 2015
Leaders’ meeting on Western Balkans – Further border intensification.
21 October 2015
Shipwreck near Samos – 11 feared dead. Turkish fishermen save infant. 48.000 refugees arrive in Greece in five days.
15 October 2015
- Basis of EU-Turkey joint action plan
- Border Intensification
- Return and readmission plans
09 October 2015
The first hotspot operates in Lambedusa.
08 October 2015
High Level Conference Eastern Mediterranean routes
- Support to Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey and transit countries
- Intensification of border management
- Intensification of diplomatic efforts.
22 September 2015
Establishing provisional measures of international protection in favour of Italy and Greece.
16/18 September 2015
Hungary begins construction of fence in border with Croatia – shocking treatment of refugees.
14 September 2015
Relocation of 40.000 refugees
9 September 2015
Proposal for emergency relocation of 120.000 from Italy, Greece and Hungary.
2 Semptember 2015
11 lives lost in the Aegean – The case of Aylan Kurdi.
31 August 2015
Greek Coastal Guard authorities rescue more than 2500 in one weekend.
20 July 2015
Relocation mechanism for persons in “clear need of international protection”
22 June 2015
EUNAVFOR (operation Sophia) is launched
13 May 2015
- Frontex budget is tripled
- Common Security and Defence Policy Operations
- Relocation and resettlement plans
- Working with third countries to tackle migration
- Implementation of the ‘hot spot’ approach